Musical Achievements At It’s Finest; Tri M Music Honor Society Induction

Avery M, OMHS Community Editor

A society dedicated to the recognition of academic and musicianship of students and providing leadership and service opportunities to young musicians; this is what Tri-M Music Honor Society has strived to do since 1936starting from the idea of a band director and his wife in the state of Illinois. And now with over 6,200 chapters in several countries, Owings Mills High carries it’s very own Tri-M with the most recent induction of new members. 

Music educators Allison Smith and Cathleen Russell run OMHS’s Tri-M and with the most recent induction, they installed two members this year; Kaylin Nock, a 12th grade student who plays the violin and Tyson Dixon, another 12th grade student who plays the viola. “During the induction, we congratulate them with a scholarship and achievement, and we also make sure they know they’re part of a network of talented musicians around the globe,” Smith said.  

In all, there are 16 members part of Tri-M. There are currently 2 officers who are co-presidents with their duties consisting of organizing and running meetings, motivating other members and being the face and voice for the organization. 

To be a recognized member of Tri-M, a student must be in a music performing class at a Honors or GT- level. To prepare for an audition, the student must demonstrate outstanding skills on their primary instrument and take personal interest in the work that they compose. 

This year, Smith is looking forward to the creativity that this group holds. Smith said, “I’m looking forward to what this group is creating this year. Their compositions and how they’re able to work effectively together brings a lot to this society.” 

For more information on Tri-M and how to be nominated, visit Russell or Smith in the music wing.