INTRODUCTION OF THE CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS HERE AT OMHS.

Faustina Mensah, Community editor

Owings Mills High School has many diverse opportunities for students to become involved in the school community and explore their passions. The school has over 34 different clubs and organizations for students to participate. These range from class officer and grade involvement to clubs such as GSA, Yearbook, and International Club.

Many of these organizations meet frequently and plan events that include the entire school community.

In order for our school to have a memento at the end of each school year, the Yearbook club, moderated by new teacher Alethea Watkins, meets frequently after school to cover various events, photograph interesting things happening at school, and enjoying time as they create the OMHS yearbook.

One of the more active organizations at Owings Mills High School is GSA (Gender Sexuality Alliance). This club is a welcoming group open to all students and provides a place where students are free to express who they are without judgement and celebrate the person they are. Students come together and support each other as they discuss their questions and issues regarding sexual and gender identity.

The organization, moderated by Social Studies teacher Lena Amick, meets every Thursday from 2:00-2:30 pm after school. This year, the GSA has begun to host movie events where they watch current films relating to the LGBTQ community. There next movie event that they will be hosting is Love, Simon and it will be held after school on Thursday, Nov.14.

One of the unique parts about the Owings Mills community is how diverse the student population is. The OMHS International Club is an organization that celebrates all of the various cultures and diverse students at Owings Mills High School. This organization is responsible for the very popular International Dance held every spring, and they are actively working toward spreading their knowledge about different cultures with the school community. Lead, by ESOL Department Chair Rebecca Alvarado, the International Club meets every Tuesday in room 212B.

Owings Mills High School has such a diverse group of students and the organizations that they participate in at school allow the students to shine and truly show their own unique personalities.

Students who are interested in joing a club or organization, use the link provided and talk to the advisor or student participants for more information.

http://owingsmillshs.bcps.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_3907686/File/Club%20offerings%20and%20descriptions%202019-20.pdf