GSA Movie

Jasmine, Editor in Chief

GSA movie afternoon kicks off year long school activities

GSA, Gay-Straight Alliance, is one of the many clubs at Owings Mills High School. Gay-Straight Alliance is a student-led or community-based organization, found in middle and high schools as well as colleges and universities, primarily in the United States and Canada, that is intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT+) children, teenagers, and youth as well as their cisgender heterosexual allies.

At Owings Mills High School, the teacher moderator is Social Studies teacher Lena Amick. During the month of October, GSA hosted a movie event where they showed the film Pariah. Pariah means an outcast. The movie Pariah that is on Netflix (a very popular movie platform) is about 17 year old African American girl, Alike, who hangs out at clubs with her openly lesbian friend Laura. The movie is the story of Alike’s journey as she comes to terms with her identity as a lesbian. Her mother, Audrey, approves of neither her clothes nor her friendship with Laura. Throughout this movie, she goes through a lot- her mother not accepting her, temptation from Bina, and being forced to wear girl’s clothes when she wants to be able to dress the way she wants to.

She goes through a lot just to achieve her goal of being free. She enjoys writing poetry and uses it to help herself because throughout the movie she writes about her challenges. The movie explains how difficult it is to be accepted and the coming out process in this generation. It highlights how many parents or people don’t accept or support their children or others for being openly gay.

GSA’s event went well, and the club will be hosting other movie and events throughout the school year such as a panel for trans people, a week of positivity (positive messages around the school), movie afternoons every month, a day of silence and weekly meetings.