Sweet Treats on Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sweet Treats on Halloween

Avery McCargo, OMHS Community Editor

“Mad as a Hatter And Twice as Twisted”
(Shannon Olsen, English teacher)

Illegal Payments

“What doesn’t kill you, simply makes you stranger!”
(Lindsey Yeager, Science teacher)

Ash Ketchum from Pokémon
(Milan, Junior)

As the days for Halloween come to a countdown, ages of young and old are becoming ready and prepared for the annual holiday celebrated across the globe. Here at Owings Mills High, students and teachers became invested with All Hallows’ Eve by donating one dollar to, Art Teacher and Co-Coordinator of the National Art Society, Maria Anagnostou.

Owings Mills High is in its second year of our Halloween for Charity event, where you’re allowed to donate one dollar to wear a school-appropriate costume on Oct.31. This year, the money donated goes to BARCS, the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter. “This isn’t a collaboration with BARCS in any way; they actually don’t know that we’re sending them the donation yet. We plan to take all of the money collected for this fundraiser and send them a check and a note from OMHS,” Anagnostou said. Last year, the money was donated to St Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

A dog lover and owner herself, Anagnostou was excited for this year’s charity event. In total, the event made $30. As for being a Sponsor for the Class Cup, her and student volunteers go around counting participation. Anagnostou said, “It is a yearly contest to see which class/grade can show the most school spirit throughout the year. Between grit ticket numbers, attendance, pep rally competitions, school event attendance, and spirit day participation, the numbers are calculated to see who ranks the highest!”

Dressed as the famous video game character Mario from Nintendo, Anagnostou and the Art Honor Society made group costumes as Mario Kart characters, making karts out of cardboard boxes. Students and teachers also participated in a costume contest with Mary Dickman (Art teacher) wining with her Bowser costume and 11th grader Kaitlyn Mableton also won the contest with her scarecrow outfit. Nduna Ndlovu won with the best kart.

The traditional Halloween Charity event is to be continued for years to come. “I would love to see the Halloween Fundraiser grow to be even larger, and eventually be able to do multiple charity fundraisers throughout the year for various different spirit days,” Anagnostou said. For more information on how to get involved, share any ideas, or ask questions about the Class Cup visit Anagnostou in Room 206.